Monday, October 7, 2013

Whether They're Designer or Hand-Me-Downs, Walk In Them

      At our school, we recently sat together as a student body and listened to a motivational speaker by the name of Dr. Michael Fowlin, also known as Mykee. He left us with the phrase, "Don't do what you should do--do what you need to do." He bowed toward us, hands clasped, pleading that we would walk away with something after this performance. As we were leaving the auditorium, I remarked to my friend, "I don't think that they probably took anything away from that," nodding toward the giggly group of crop-top and "short-short" clad girls. If anyone else heard that, they most likely would think that I didn't either. 
     Although I don't consider myself at the bottom of the wretched social ladder that divides middle-school, I am most certainly far from the top. But even so, does that automatically make my remarks upon the groups above me "non-nasty" or something to be agreed with, whereas if they said the same sentence, it would be considered snarky or spiteful? Although I know that I am not mean (or at least I hope that I'm not), I sometimes wish I could take away those casual remarks that fall from my lips as judgements that I know I wouldn't want to be at the recieving end of.
     So let's talk about this "other" species. Yes, they may have more money than I do, or more friends, and yes, they can be mean. But I don't think that makes them any better or worse than me. Neither of us has the right to pass judgements on the other. After all, we were all born as slippery, wailing babies, weren't we? (Unless you're like me, and was born with a pitful, pathetic mewl rather than a robust roar.) We all have differences. We should all respect those differences. 
     I am not trying to justify people being able to bully others because of their social status. I am simply sending out a request as Dr. Mykee did--"Don't judge me," the phrase that is added jokingly by all people after revealing something strange that they do, has a deeper meaning. I write this as an apology to all those I have passed judgements against and as a hopeful message to others that they will not do the same. Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes. Whether they are designer 3-inch platforms and really hurt your feet, or the most torn up sneakers you've ever seen, retain judgement until you do.


 


2 comments:

  1. Wooow Hasadri, this is an impressive work of-vat do u call it-ahh art. You're such a good writer and I totally agree with you. And trust me, you're mean...JUST KIDDIN', ur the nicest person I know. It's sad how we just judge people from the start and just start disliking them, especially you :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Hasadri - that is the greatest quality of yours. You are so kind and respectful, and I will always look to you that way.

    ReplyDelete